Fitness Friday: 9-Step Morning Workout Routine
It is important to give your body a head start on the day. It’s too easy to fall into a rut and not give your body the care it needs, which can lead to feeling run-down, easily fatigued, and sore. Here at Apotheque we have made it our mission to give you the tools you need to take care of your body. We have compiled a 9-step morning stretch and exercise routine that will jump-start your day and set you on a healthier path.
Let’s get started!
1) First, a classic: Ten Jumping Jacks. Light cardio is a great way to warm up your body and get your heart rate up and ready for your routine.
2) Ankle Rocks. This is a deep stretch in which you bend one knee in front of you, anchoring both hands-on the floor, shoulder-width apart, while your other leg is stretched out behind you, top of your foot to the floor. Do this on both sides for as long as it takes to feel your muscle relax and open to the stretch.
3) Groin Rocks. Start by getting on your knees and placing both hands on the floor in front of you. Then stretch one leg out to the side until you feel the stretch in your groin and hip-flexers. Stretch on both sides
4) Hamstring Stretch. Similar to groin rocks, start out on your knees with hands on the floor in front of you. Then stretch out one leg in front of you. Stretch both sides.
5) Pigeon. Begin laying face down on the floor and then place your hands on the floor to lift your head and torso. Bring one leg up and fold it underneath you, the other leg should be laying flat bend you. Lean forward to deepen the stretch. Repeat on both sides.
6) Birddog. Now that you’re stretched out, it’s time for some light core exercise. Begin on your hands and knees. Lift one arm and the opposite leg so they are parallel to the floor, hold for a couple seconds and then return to start position. Do this ten times on each side.
7) Hands-To-Knee. Begin on your back with legs and arms lifted. Bring one knee up and touch it with your opposite hand, stretch your other arm and leg out. Do this five times on each side.
8) Glute Bridge. Begin on your back with knees bent and feet planted on the floor. Your arms should be down at your side. Lift your hips into the air, hold for a second, and bring them back down. Do this fifteen times.
9) Bring your routine to a close with some Cat/Cow stretches. Begin on your hands and knees. Arch your back to the ceiling for a Cat Stretch, hold for a few seconds and then push your chest out and pull your stomach towards the floor for a Cow Stretch. Alternate as many times as you feel is necessary.
Now you’re body is warmed up and ready for the day. Go out and make the world yours!