For my fellow insomniacs and all the other general bad sleepers, here are the most effective sleep rituals that may help you on the path to a good night's rest.
1) Put on those comfy pajamas. Yes, this seems obvious, but I don’t mean throwing on your old college sweater and some sweats with holes in them. Finding a nice set of silk or flannel pjs that make you look good and feel good.
2) Clean away the day with A night time facial routine. Find products you like and trust, and get onto a schedule. Here at Apotheque we make it easy by offering a full set of skin routine products. Start with a cleanser that’s right for your skin, make sure all the sweat and makeup is washed away. Then you apply a serum and some night cream, Vitamin E oil, or Rosehip oil. Each offers a plethora of benefits from anti-aging, anti-acne, and giving your skin an overall healthy glow. Not only does this practice help you skin, but washing away the days grime allows you to go to bed feeling clean, refreshed, and reset.
3) Teas and Calming Herbs. Before bed, brew yourself an herbal tea, whatever your favorite is, be it Sleepytime, chamomile, or simply lemon with honey. Sleep tonics like these are wonderful for warming the body and introducing calming herbs. Try adding lavender, lemon balm, valerian root, passionflower, or ylang ylang to your brew for extra calming benefits.
4) Unplug and Read. Here is where you can choose to read a book or magazine while you enjoy your tea, either on your couch or in bed. Reading is a great way to tire out your eyes without over stimulating your brain.
5) Deep Breathing or Meditation. When you’re ready to go to sleep, sit on your bed and close your eyes. start by paying attention to your breath, then exhale completely through your mouth. Then inhale quietly through your nose to a count of 4. Hold your breath for 7 seconds. Finally, exhale completely through your mouth to a count of 8. Do this as many times as it takes to feel calm and ready for bed.